The name hockey comes from the French word hocquet which means stick. It’s not clear how the game got started but the story goes that British soldiers stationed in Nova Scotia, Canada were playing hockey games of one sort or another. No doubt it was earlier than that when kids played on open ponds with sticks and some form of puck.Olympic hockey has come a long way since it was included in the Antwerp games back in 1920.In 1879 rules were set down for an organized game at McGill University in Montreal. It began to spread around the area and by the 1890s it had been picked up by the US interests. The first known organized hockey game took place between Johns Hopkins and Yale Universities in the winter of 1895.The first winter Olympic hockey games took place in the 1924 games in Chamonix, France. The first women’s games were held in Nagano, Japan in 1998. Women compete in an eight team tournament whereas the men compete in a twelve team series.The rules are quite simple for the game. A team may not have more than six players on the ice at any one time, but can have less while… Read full this story
- What Are the Typical Prices For Tickets to a Winter Olympics Event?
- What Athletes Are Made Of
- Accommodations For the 2010 Winter Olympics
- Where Are They Now? - Canadian Olympic Athletes - Past & Present
- Places to Stay in Vancouver For 2010 Olympics
- Toronto (Arenas - St Patricks) Maple Leafs
- Materials Used to Build a Mascot
- Famous Sports Radio Broadcasts - Keep the Thrills Alive
- How Things Change - The Evolution of Skating
- It's Time Once Again For the Boys of October to Shine
- The Power Principle of Targeted Living
- Odd Sports Trivia
- Vauxhall Corsa - Room For an Underdog?
- Cruel and Unusual Exercises
- Facing My Mortality at Age 15
- Achieving Physical Performance Integrating Your Mind, Body, and Spirit
- Collect Canadian Coins
- Five Great Moments in Golf
Olympic Hockey - What's It All About? have 315 words, post on ezinearticles.com at March 19, 2008. This is cached page on Sport News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.