Who was the first athlete elected president in the world?Marcus Stephen is the first sportspeople elected head of state in the world. Nauru’s president since 2007, Stephen was one of the Third World’s most famous weightlifters in the 1990s. From 1990 to 1994, he won four gold medals at the Commonwealth Games. “I am proud of my achievements in weightlifting and what I have done for Nauru”, said Stephen. In 1999, he won a silver medal at the World Cup in Greece. He was elected Nauru’s sportspeople of the year many times. For this reason, he had many fans in his island, one of the smallest nations on Earth, with an area of 21 square km and a population of about 9,500. One of the most influential leaders in the history of Nauru, Stephen was elected congressman in 2003. Unlike George Weah ( the former footballer who lost the presidential election in Liberia), Stephen Marcus made his dream come true on December 19, 2007, when he was elected president by Parliament. “Marcus Stephen was sworn in as new president after a vote on Wednesday afternoon. It is official, Marcus Stephen is president. He holds the reins now and has appointed… Read full this story
- Why NBC Shouldn’t Worry About the Winter Olympics TV Ratings
- NBC Apologizes for Japan Comment Made During Olympics Opening Ceremony Coverage
- After lock down, India swimmers chase A qualifying norm for Tokyo Olympics
- One year since FIH Olympic Qualifier: India Hockey captains Manpreet and Rani recall historic event
- Cricket South Africa’s entire board resigns, Olympic body likely to install interim committee
- Chad le Clos, thankfully reunited with his ISL team, flies toward a third Olympics
- Top gymnasts gather for ‘Friendship and Solidarity’ meet on Olympic Channel
- The 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony Was the Best I’ve Seen in Years
- NBA season expected to end before Olympics, but which stars will be in Tokyo?
- Gymnasts in Tokyo show how Olympics can pass coronavirus challenges
Olympic Nations - Who Is Who? have 315 words, post on ezinearticles.com at March 22, 2008. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.