No band develops in a vacuum; every band starts out thinking, at least a bit, of other musicians that they want to take after or rebel against. But Nirvana was the first great band of actual music snobs: record fiends who wanted to make it very clear exactly what they listened to. They all loved Led Zep and Aerosmith and CCR and Black Sabbath and Kiss and then some more Led Zep on top of that. Mostly, though, Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic had grown up as Pacific Northwest punk rock kids. They hung out with the Melvins in Aberdeen, Washington, were required by circumstance to define their position with respect to K Records and the Olympia scene and carried Flipper and Bad Brains records like shields to ward off poseurs. (Dave Grohl had a roughly equivalent experience growing up in the DC area.) When they hit the big time, they covered their favorite bands, got them to open for Nirvana, wore their T-shirts every chance they got. Kurt even oversaw reissues of his beloved Raincoats’ lost work.In case there was any ambiguity left about who Nirvana considered their ancestors, it’s all laid out in Kurt’s Journals — the scribblings… Read full this story
- Nirvana can seem an exotic metaphysical idea until you look closer – Robert Wright
- Hot springs south of Colorado Springs aims to be welcoming, refreshing haven
- The 9:01: One man's Beale Street Music Fest guide, J.B. Bickerstaff's hiring, and more
- Hot springs south of Colorado Springs: 'Far more than the name has changed'
- Phoenix local music picks for May: Hogjaw, Technicolors, the Woodworks, Intent, Sunday at Noon
- Friday, May 4 at Jazz Fest: Beck, Tank & the Bangas and more
- Last year Summerfest sued Red Lobster. This year, they're teaming up for a promotion.
- The stupidest streak in sports is dead, thanks to the Caps. Bye.
- As Woh Hup hawker stall turns 50, it still offers stunning menu
- Noel’s in good Kompany: Star backing Belgium
The Roots of Nirvana have 322 words, post on ezinearticles.com at June 11, 2008. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.