In Phantom Thread, newcomer Vicky Krieps manages a Herculean feat: upstaging one of the greatest actors alive. ”As Phantom Thread flits between complicated character piece and unusually funny romantic comedy, the movie becomes much more about Krieps’ Alma. The Luxembourgian actress holds her own with Day-Lewis and often is the best part of the movie,” USA TODAY’s Brian Truitt raves. Others call her the ’50s drama’s “standout,” giving a “star-making turn” as the bashful waitress who blossoms into a formidable fashion model and muse for stringent designer Reynolds Woodcock (Day-Lewis). More: What’s it really like to work with Daniel Day-Lewis? Team ‘Phantom Thread’ tells all But as Krieps, 34, tells it, she initially had no idea she was auditioning for the latest film from Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood), in theaters Christmas Day (in New York and Los Angeles; expanding Jan. 12). The actress received a casting notice last year and immediately taped an audition, without regard to who or what exactly it was for. A few days later, her agent called and said Anderson wanted to meet. ”She could tell that I was a little too cool, because I said, ‘Yeah, give him my number,’ ” Krieps says. “And she said, ‘Vicky, do you know who we’re talking about?’… Read full this story
- Hot trailer: 'Phantom Thread,' Daniel Day-Lewis' last movie before retirement
- Daniel Day-Lewis high-fives 10-yr.-old 'There Will Be Blood' co-star
- Side Dish: Daniel Day-Lewis can't shake his character
- Honest! Steven Spielberg casts Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in biopic
- Daniel Day-Lewis honors Heath Ledger during Screen Actors Guild awards
- Jewelers hoop it up as Daniel Day-Lewis sets hot trend with pirate earrings
- channels an artsy student film as it puts its villains front and center
- EXCLUSIVE: Cop accused of tormenting NYPD snitch fears student film will smear his reputation
- The Star of the Toronto Film Festival Is Chris Pine's Dick
- Former 'Star Trek' stars reunite for independent film 'Of Gods and Men'
Daniel Day-Lewis' 'Phantom Thread' co-star thought she auditioned for a student film have 333 words, post on www.usatoday.com at December 25, 2017. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.