Fabio Fognini got the Foro Italico crowd fired up Wednesday with a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 win over sixth-seeded Dominic Thiem in the second round of the Italian Open. Italy’s top player came out wearing a black shirt with a red lightning bolt design down his chest and he was energized from the start, grazing the flower beds lining the court to return Thiem’s high-bouncing topspin serves and frustrating the Austrian with well-placed lobs and touch volleys. “I played very well today,” said Thiem, who beat Rafael Nadal in the Madrid Open semifinals last week. “It was just him, he was very pumped playing at home.” Nadal, a seven-time Rome champion, routed 31st-ranked Damir Dzumhur 6-1, 6-0. While Fognini drop-kicked his racket onto the court after a miss early in the third set, it was Thiem who ultimately lost his cool. In the final game, Thiem smashed his racket into a mangled wreck and handed it to a befuddled fan in the front row. When Thiem netted a service return two points later to end it, the White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army was blasted over the stadium sound system and the crowd began singing along in an atmosphere that more closely… Read full this story
- Golf: Shubhankar gives himself a birthday present by making cut at The Open
- Here's when the Call of Duty: WW2 beta starts, when you can begin pre-loading, and more
- Stacey Solomon reveals hack for getting her kids to eat fruit by making impressive animals like peacocks and dolphins
- Mrs Hinch makes impressive edible paints for baby Ronnie and shares exactly how she did it
- Piercy makes most of US Open chance with fast start
- Make your own fresh pasta
- 'We are beginning to see change': UK's chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance offers signs of hope as coronavirus cases start to flatten despite bleakest day yet with 786 new deaths - but Dominic Raab warns lockdown WON'T end yet
- Michelle Money says daughter Brielle is 'making huge progress' as she tries to open her eyes after medically induced coma: 'Things are moving fast'
- And So Begins the Shailene Woodley Era
- British Open cancelled due to virus: organisers
Nadal, Fognini make impressive start at Italian Open; Halep begins strong have 364 words, post on www.indiatvnews.com at May 16, 2018. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.