Sport by Press Association October 28, 2018, 1:01 pm FacebookTwitterLinkedInWhatsAppEmail Sign up to our Sport newsletter Rory Burns is not taking a long-awaited Test debut for granted after arriving on his first England tour in Sri Lanka. The Surrey captain knows better than most what it is like to wait for an opportunity, putting together five years of consistent run-scoring at domestic level before finally being recognised by the selectors. Now, having led his county to a first championship title in 16 years and topped the Division One scoring charts, he has been given a chance to fill England’s problem position at opener, a role the last 12 candidates have failed to hold down. Alastair Cook’s retirement has left a blank canvas at the top of the order, with Burns, Keaton Jennings and Joe Denly all eager to make their mark. All three are likely to get their chance next week, when a pair of two-day warm-up matches will provide the proving ground ahead of the first Test in Galle. “Just because you get in the squad doesn’t mean you just get handed a Test opportunity, it’s about working hard for it,” Burns told Test Match Special after a draining… Read full this story
- Wallingford's Burns & McDonnell Makes Key New Hire
- 'Czech Klopp' Trpisovsky making big impression with Slavia
- Baton Rouge police chief's Alton Sterling comments make strong impression: 'An apology goes a long way'
- Lyrical Ballast: Impressions Of A Sunless Sea
- Eddie Jones' England future beyond 2021 remains uncertain
- Conte makes champion Chelsea a happy family again
- Mark Carney named new Bank of England governor to widespread acclaim - as it happened
- England call up Overton and Bess as cover as illness hits camp
- Root, Denly and Sibley hit half-centuries as England begin South Africa tour
- England face tyranny of choice and South Africa’s galaxy of backroom stars
Burns determined to make the right impression with England have 299 words, post on www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk at October 28, 2018. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.