London (CNN)A UK government minister has resigned over Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit plan and called for the country to hold a fresh referendum on leaving the European Union. Jo Johnson, a junior transport minister, said the country was “barreling towards an incoherent Brexit, that is going to leave us trapped in a subordinate relationship to the EU.” Johnson, who campaigned for the UK to remain in the EU, is the younger brother of former UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, a prominent pro-Brexit campaigner, who resigned from May’s cabinet in July. In a statement posted online, Jo Johnson said he said he intended to vote against the withdrawal agreement currently being finalized in London and Brussels because it would represent “a terrible mistake.” Brexit Secretary mocked for trade comments The British people are in effect being left with “no choice at all,” he said, adding that “what is now being proposed won’t be anything like what was promised two years ago.” Read More “To present the nation with a choice between two deeply unattractive outcomes, vassalage and chaos, is a failure of British statecraft on a scale unseen since the Suez crisis,” he said. “Given that the reality of Brexit… Read full this story
- Philip Pullman says UK government should face 'conspiracy to murder' charges if it is found that MPs rejected EU deal for PPE 'for Brexit reasons'
- Scottish government urges Boris Johnson to seek maximum two year Brexit transition period extension so EU and UK can focus on coronavirus
- Johnson missed 5 key coronavirus meetings, but UK government defends his leadership
- Coronavirus: How UK government works with Boris Johnson in Covid-19 intensive care
- UK Government Urged to Grab ‘Huge Opportunity’ After Integrated Security Review Delayed by COVID-19
- UK Government Admits to Panic Purchasing Faulty Antibody Test Kits Despite Experts Advice
- UK Government Keeps Mum on Whether Brits Will Be First to Use Domestically-Made COVID-19 Vaccine
- UK’s Johnson unveils legislative plan to end Brexit deadlock
- Finally! UK Prime Minister Theresa May Announces Resignation After Three-Year Brexit Failure
- Could ministers be ready to start planning exit in 10 days? Government to get green light to prepare for 'next phase' after lockdown extension today - and coffee shops and restaurants could reopen first
UK government minister Jo Johnson resigns over Brexit plan have 379 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 9, 2018. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.