Carlos Monarrez and Gregory Levinsky Detroit Free Press
Published 6:04 PM EDT Jun 14, 2019
Detroit Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire is not too worried with the health of Tigers No. 1 prospect Casey Mize.
Mize, the 10th-ranked prospect by Baseball America, left his road start with Double-A Erie on Thursday in the third inning because of shoulder soreness.
Mize was expected to undergo an MRI on Friday, but Gardenhire said he hadn’t heard anything about it.
“I’m not privy to that,” he said. “I haven’t talked to the trainers or anything like that. I’m assuming they’re doing all that they have to do to make sure he’s OK.”
[ Sign up for our new Detroit Tigers newsletter. It’s free! ]
Although there’s no official word, for now the organization doesn’t believe it’s a serious injury.
Mize threw 23 pitches over 2⅓ innings on Thursday. On his last pitch, he stood in place after his delivery. He was immediately checked on by SeaWolves coaches and walked off the field with a trainer.
More: Matt Manning plans to make majors with fellow prospects Mize, Faedo
More: Tigers top prospects minor league statistics for 2019
Gardenhire isn’t speculating on the “what ifs” or “could be’s”.
“Baseball injuries happen,” Gardenhire said. “Now we just go through the process of trying to get him back out to pitch.”
Mize, 22, has dominated the minor leagues this year, posting an 0.92 ERA and 0.69 WHIP in 13 starts between Class A Lakeland and Erie. He has struck out 75 batters and walked 12 in 78 innings.
The Tigers drafted him No. 1 overall in 2018 out of Auburn, and he figures to be a key cog in the Tigers’ rebuild moving forward.
More: Tigers open to trading Nicholas Castellanos, Shane Greene, Matthew Boyd
- Detroit Tigers top prospect Casey Mize analyzes his spring debut
- Detroit Tigers spring training: Casey Mize looks good early
- Detroit Tigers top pick Casey Mize ends his first camp with a flourish
- Detroit Tigers spring training: Casey Mize brings heat in Fla.
- Detroit Tigers score updates vs. Phillies, Cardinals today
- The Detroit News top 50 Detroit Tigers prospects for 2019
- Casey Mize starts first spring training in Detroit Tigers’ MLB camp
- Ex-Detroit Tiger Jose Iglesias heads to Cincy on minor-league deal
- Should Detroit Tigers replace Michael Fulmer with Casey Mize?
- At Detroit Tigers minor league camp, I saw hope for the future