Breaking News Emails
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says he’ll host a July Fourth celebration at the Lincoln Memorial. And though the event he’s calling “A Salute to America” is months away, he’s boasting it’ll be one of the city’s biggest Independence Day gatherings ever.
HOLD THE DATE! We will be having one of the biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C., on July 4th. It will be called “A Salute To America” and will be held at the Lincoln Memorial. Major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 24, 2019
Here’s what seems to be known: Trump will give a speech and there’ll be fireworks, expected to be the free annual holiday show from the National Park Service.
Here’s what’s not known: Who’ll provide the entertainment and how it may fit in with the annual evening concert on the Capitol’s West Lawn and the usual holiday parades.
Trump’s past crowd estimates have drawn criticism. Trump claimed that up to 1.5 million people attended his inauguration at the Capitol and National Mall, but Park Service photographs undermined that claim.
- 2016 Plant City July 4th Celebration: What to Know Before You Go
- Stipe Miocic celebrates July 4th with an interesting wardrobe
- Twins’ Buxton producing fireworks at the plate since July 4th
- Kevin Durant is expected to make his free agent decision on July 4th
- Antonio Brown uses Jason Pierre-Paul joke to wish fans a safe July 4th
- Clippers clinch 4th seed, will host Jazz in 1st round
- Donald Trump Writes off WHCD Dinner as a ‘Big Boring Bust’ — ‘Greg Gutfeld Should Host Next Year!’
- Michael Rapaport: ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ Kanye’s Trump Tweets a ‘F**king Problem’
- Charlie Jane Anders Is Announcing Her New Book Right Here on io9!
- Lawmakers of color expected a culture war from Donald Trump. Just not in sports.