That was the first time that New Zealand had such an authoritative run at the World Cup and they beat almost everybody that came on their way, thanks to some brilliant captaincy from strategy master, the late Martin Crowe. Gavin Larsen, one of the members of the NZ squad in the 1992 edition, revealed years later how it was like for the team when it started putting up such an incredible performance. The former captain who was known for his wicket-to-wicket miserly military medium wrote in a piece in ESPNcricinfo, things were not as smooth before the tournament began. New Zealand had a poor series against England at home and the terms between the board, selectors and captain Crowe were far from smooth. However, things changed once New Zealand trounced defending champions and co-hosts Australia by 37 runs at Eden Park, Napier. “When we beat Australia there was a release of emotion. Like, “Wow, are we on to something special here?”,” Larsen wrote in his piece. Crowe’s own batting form aided NZ’s cause (he ended up as the highest scorer of the tournament and bagged the man of the series award) and the co-hosts went on to win seven games… Read full this story
- England storm to victory! Owen Farrell's men make it to first Rugby World Cup final since 2007 after defeating reigning champs New Zealand 19-7 in Japan – as delirious fans say they knew team would win after 'smirking' captain stared down the Haka
- ICC World Cup 2019: India vs England: Bairstow helps England beat India by 31 runs to stay alive; Rohit ton goes in vain
- Prince Harry joins Japan's Crown Prince Akishino and Prince Albert of Monaco in the stands at Rugby World Cup final while Meghan Markle cheers at home 'with baby Archie in a replica strip onesie'
- ICC World Cup 2019: The semifinal scenario
- Highlights - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand, 1st Test, Day 5: Karunaratne century hands Sri Lanka six-wicket win in Galle
- England expects! Prince Harry leads rugby fans gathering for the world cup final in Japan as millions tune in across the world to see Owen Farrell's heroes take on South Africa for their second title
- Cricket World Cup 2019: How heavyweights are setting themselves apart
- ICC World Cup 2019: Twitter flooded with India-Pakistan friendship memes as Virat Kohli's men face England
- New Zealand 'close' to locking World Cup squad: Coach Gary Stead
- Megan Rapinoe scores a double to fire US past France into Women's World Cup semi-finals
World Cup flashbacks: Even politicians wanted to enter New Zealand dressing room after their incredible run in 1992 have 401 words, post on www.mykhel.com at April 16, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.