By Art Wilson | | PUBLISHED: May 17, 2019 at 8:46 pm | UPDATED: May 17, 2019 at 8:50 pm Santa Anita’s string of zero horse deaths ended at 46 days Friday when Commander Coil sustained a shoulder injury during morning training and had to be euthanized. Commander Coil, trained by Marcelo Polanco and owned by Jose Romero, was an unraced 3-year-old gelding bred in Colorado, and became the 24th horse fatality at Santa Anita since its season began Dec. 26. The Stronach Group, parent company of Santa Anita, said in a statement that there had been “over 80,000 gallops during training with no fatalities” since new safety measures were put in place March 15. The last death at Santa Anita came on March 31 when Arms Runner was injured during a race down the track’s unique hillside turf course and had to be euthanized. There have been no races on the downhill course since the accident. “Equine shoulder injuries are rare, especially for a horse that is galloping as opposed to breezing or racing,” The Stronach Group said in its statement. “A comprehensive evaluation will be completed to understand what might have caused this uncommon injury.” When horses gallop,… Read full this story
- Sixth Horse Dies At Santa Anita This Year
- Horse suffers 'sudden death' at Santa Anita Park training track
- Santa Anita Race Horse Death Toll Rises To 39
- 15-Year-Old Who Suffered from Near-Fatal Toxic Shock Syndrome Is Now Walking and Talking Again: 'It's Really Amazing,' Says Her Father
- Police Seek Help In Finding 3 Suspects In San Jose Fatal Stabbing
- Georgia Bloomberg Fell From a Horse, Suffered a Concussion, and Cracked Her Spine
- 2020 Sam F. Davis Stakes odds, contenders: Top horse racing insider releases surprising picks, predictions
- Shannen Doherty says her 'heart is shattered' after the sudden death of her beloved horse Picasso
- How a horse cured my lifelong insomnia: She's tried eye masks, ear plugs, and even antidepressants to tackle her chronic inability to sleep. Now HANNAH BETTS shares the one treatment that finally worked...
- Police release video of teen suspects in fatal stabbing in San Jose
Santa Anita suffers 24th horse fatality since late December have 344 words, post on www.dailybreeze.com at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.