Canadian teenager Felix Auger-Aliassime saved a match point and went on to beat German qualifier Dustin Brown in three sets Friday to advance to the semifinals of the MercedesCup at Stuttgart, Germany.
FILE PHOTO: Tennis – Australian Open – First Round – Court 3, Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2019. Italy’s Matteo Berrettini serves during the match against Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi/File Photo
Auger-Aliassime won 7-6 (3), 6-7 (2), 7-6 (2) over Brown, who upset top-seeded Alexander Zverev on Thursday.
The 18-year-old Auger-Aliassime fired 30 aces and survived a match point down 5-4 in the third set when Brown sent a high forehand volley wide. Auger-Aliassime then earned his first service break of the match and later took control of the tiebreaker by winning the first five points.
No. 7 seed Auger-Aliassime will play countryman Milos Raonic in a semifinal. The sixth-seeded Raonic defeated Hungary’s Marton Fucsovics 6-4, 6-4.
Also advancing to the semifinals were Italian Matteo Berrettini, a 6-3, 6-3 winner over Denis Kudla, and German Jan-Lennard Struff, who defeated Frenchman Lucas Pouille 6-4, 6-4.
Second-seeded Borna Coric of Croatia battled back from a 5-2 deficit in the third set to slip past Cristian Garin of Chile 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (6) to reach the semifinals in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands.
Coric served an ace to fight off a match point at 6-5 in the final set.
He advances to play Adrian Mannarino of France, who rallied to knock out fifth-seeded David Goffin of Belgium 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.
Jordan Thompson beat fellow Australian Alex de Minaur to reach his first ATP semifinal with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory over the No. 3 seed. He will play Frenchman Richard Gasquet, the eighth-seed and defending champion who won two matches Friday.
He completed a delayed match over Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 6-4, 6-3 before returning to the court six hours later and eliminating Chile’s Nicolas Jarry 7-6 (8), 6-4.
—Field Level Media
- Asian Games: PH poomsae teams reach semis, assured of taekwondo bronze
- FIFA World Cup: France downs punchless Uruguay to reach semis
- Ginebra routs Magnolia to reach semis
- Canadian teen uses Google Earth, help from space agency to find possible lost Mayan city
- Canadian teen takes to intercom, resigns job at Walmart
- Petkovic reaches semis at rain-delayed Citi Open
- Tennis: Roger Federer into Stuttgart semis, closes in on world No.1
- Tennis: Federer, Djokovic advance to Shanghai semis
- San Francisco jury rules Monsanto's Roundup caused Sonoma Co. man's lymphoma
- Tesla Semi Truck: TSLA Shares Go Up After Walmart Preorders Tesla's Tractor Trailer