Tom Odula, Associated Press
Updated 6:32 am CDT, Monday, June 17, 2019
People coming from Congo have their temperature measured to screen for symptoms of Ebola, at the Mpondwe border crossing with Congo, in western Uganda Friday, June 14, 2019. In Uganda, health workers had long prepared in case the Ebola virus got past the screening conducted at border posts with Congo and earlier this week it did, when a family exposed to Ebola while visiting Congo returned home on an unguarded footpath. lessPeople coming from Congo have their temperature measured to screen for symptoms of Ebola, at the Mpondwe border crossing with Congo, in western Uganda Friday, June 14, 2019. In Uganda, health workers had long … more
Photo: Ronald Kabuubi, AP
Photo: Ronald Kabuubi, AP
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Kenyan doctors are testing a hospital patient in western Kenya who has Ebola-like symptoms, as eastern Congo is struggling to control the outbreak and Uganda has reported two deaths from the deadly hemorrhagic fever.
The female patient in Kenya is in isolation at Kericho County Referral Hospital where staff took precautions to ensure minimal contact, county spokesman Timothy Kimei said in a statement.
The patient had visited her spouse at the Kenyan-Ugandan border and three other family members are also under observation, according to Kenyan media.
Results from the test are expected in 12 to 24 hours. If confirmed as Ebola, it would be Kenya’s first ever case of the virus and represent a worrying spread of the disease from eastern Congo.
Uganda last week reported two deaths from Ebola that had spread from eastern Congo where the current outbreak has caused more than 1,400 deaths since August last year.
Kenya has never experienced an Ebola outbreak and some Kenyan doctors have expressed concern about the country’s preparedness to manage the deadly virus.
- Woman told wrong test result in 'error' left fighting for life
- Man dead in incident at address, woman known to him fights for life
- Nicola Anderson: Cruellest irony that woman who spearheaded the fight against cancer fell victim
- Congo rebels shoot two health workers fighting Ebola outbreak with army
- Uganda to vaccinate health workers amid contagion fears along DRC border
- DR Congo ministry says Ebola outbreak worst in nation’s history
- Democratic Republic of Congo's worst Ebola crisis kills 200
- Confirmed Ebola Cases in DR Congo Rises to 291 – Health Ministry
- Italian woman kidnapped by heavily armed gunmen in Kenya
- Young woman arrested for allegedly kicking her ‘pregnant’ mother on the Costa del Sol