NEW YORK — Paul DeJong hit an RBI single off Edwin Díaz in the 10th inning, and the St. Louis Cardinals completed their rally from a night earlier to beat the New York Mets 5-4 Friday.The game Thursday was suspended after 8 1/2 innings, moments after the Cardinals’ Harrison Bader drove in the tying run with a two-out double off Díaz in the rain.Play resumed where things left off, and a small crowd at Citi Field saw Carlos Martinez (1-0) pitch a 1-2-3 bottom of the ninth. Díaz (1-4) then jogged out of the bullpen to continue his outing.Pinch-hitter Yairo Muñoz led off with a single, stole second and advanced to third on Matt Carpenter’s groundout. DeJong followed by grounding a ball into left field to score Muñoz.Jordan Hicks pitched perfectly through the bottom of the inning for his 14th save.The Cardinals gathered around the mound for congratulatory handshakes, then returned to the clubhouse for a quick break before playing the second game of the series.Rain pounded down Thursday night as New York took a 4-2 lead into the ninth. Umps signaled for the tarp, but first baseman Pete Alonso and other Mets players lobbied hard to keep the game… Read full this story
- Vietnam complete hat-trick in SEA Games
- Female chess players Mai Hung gets a card to 27th SEA Games
- Bankers add new fees for card services, as customers cry foul
- Hordes of Vietnamese journalists head to SEA Games
- Violent online games: a many-headed Hydra?
- SEA Games loss raises hackles, match-fixing accusations
- Southern officials to be suspended over slush fund
- Four districts, city complete organization of grassroots Gymnastics and Sports Games
- China to Censor Internet During Games: Official
- Vietnam’s female footballers train in China for SEA Games 27
Rally on: Cards complete comeback vs Mets in suspended game have 304 words, post on www.columbiamissourian.com at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.