LE HAVRE, France — Jodie Taylor scored her first international goal in 14 months to send England into the second round of the Women’s World Cup on Friday in a 1-0 victory over Argentina.The Argentines, who scored their first ever World Cup point in an opening draw against Japan, were resilient but Taylor finally found a way past goalkeeper Vanina Correa in the 61st minute after she had repeatedly thwarted England’s attack. Correa saved a first-half penalty from Nikita Parris.Taylor sneaked into a central location unchecked by the Argentine defense and met Beth Mead’s low cross. She nudged the ball into the net and ended a 540-day England goal drought for the Golden Boot winner from the 2017 European Championship.After edging Scotland 2-1 on Sunday, England has now opened a World Cup with back-to-back wins for the first time and advanced to the next round ahead of its final Group D match against Japan. Italy, France and Germany are also already through to the round of 16 with a game to spare.
- Meet Gorgeous Swedish WAGs as Team Readies for England World Cup Clash (PHOTOS)
- England v France, New Zealand v Italy World Cup Rugby Games Cancelled Over Typhoon
- Sunday's Namibia-Canada World Cup Rugby Game Cancelled Due to Super Typhoon Hagibis
- South Africa wing Cheslin Kolbe ruled out of World Cup semi-final against Wales with ankle injury
- Gregor Townsend axes Scotland captain Stuart McInally for typhoon-threatened World Cup crunch match with Japan
- Rugby World Cup 2019 final predictions: Our experts' verdicts on England vs South Africa – who do they think will win?
- England dreams crushed by South Africa in 32-12 Rugby World Cup 2019 final defeat
- Dejan Lovren: Croatia’s World Cup run proves I’m one of world’s best defenders
- England thump Australia 40-16 to reach Rugby World Cup 2019 semi-finals
- Where the Rugby World Cup final will be won and lost: Key areas England and South Africa will target to lift the trophy
Taylor puts England in World Cup last 16 with game to spare have 330 words, post on www.columbiamissourian.com at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.