Jodie Taylor scored in the 62nd minute as England notched a 1-0 Group D victory over Argentina at Le Havre, France, on Friday to clinch a spot in the round of 16 of the Women’s World Cup. Beth Mead set up the goal with a left-footed cross from the left, and Taylor used her right foot to knock it past Argentina goalkeeper Vanina Correa for England (2-0-0, six points)”It was a good performance today by the team and a good win,” Taylor said after the contest. “I remember Beth Mead playing a perfect ball, which landed right on my foot. Patience was the key; we said it all week.”England had a 19-3 edge in shots over Argentina (0-1-1, one point). Japan 2, Scotland 1Mana Iwabuchi and Yuika Sugasawa scored goals as Japan defeated Scotland in Group D play at Rennes, France. Iwabuchi scored in the 23rd minute and Sugasawa tallied on a penalty kick 14 minutes later for Japan (1-0-1, four points). It was an improved showing from Japan after it played Argentina to a scoreless draw in its opening match. “It was a must-win game and, although there were tough moments, we’re very happy to get the win,” Japan… Read full this story
- Argentina Reaches $50 Billion Financing Deal With I.M.F.
- MVP charges Gilas to reach Final 16 at FIBA World Cup
- Tunisia draw again but reach last 16 as Mauritania go out
- Goldman Sachs thinks England will make the World Cup final
- Argentina, Combating Plummeting Currency, Raises Interest Rate to 60%
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Mapping England’s finalists
- Here comes that familiar failing as fears of a currency crisis resurface in Argentina
- MoneyWeek Roundup: The European rollercoaster continues
- A $160 million corruption scandal in Argentina is roiling its financial markets
- Wales climb to 11th in Fifa world rankings – above England
WWC roundup: England nips Argentina to reach round of 16 have 308 words, post on www.metro.us at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.