Former Bangladesh military dictator Hussain Muhammad Ershad died Sunday aged 89, after weeks in a Dhaka hospital, officials said. General Ershad ruled Bangladesh for nearly a decade before being ousted from power in a pro-democracy upsurge in 1990 and was jailed for years on corruption charges. He passed away due to complications from old age, Kazi Firoz Rashid, a longtime colleague and lawmaker from his Jatiya Party, told AFP. Armed forces spokesman Abdullah bin Zaid confirmed the death. Ershad, who was also a prolific poet, was the head of the country’s armed forces in 1982 when he took power in a bloodless coup after removing an elected government from power. His rule was marked by a controversial decision to make Islam the state religion of the officially secular Muslim-majority nation. In comments made to local reporters from jail in 1996, he said that his “greatest failure… was running the country softly with a heart of a poet”. Despite the slew of cases against him, Ershad emerged as one of Bangladesh’s major power brokers in the 1990s after his Jatiya Party became the country’s third biggest political outfit. Since his ouster at the hands of current Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and… Read full this story
- Spain to Exhume Franco’s Remains Despite Objections From the Military Dictator’s Family
- Spain's socialist government will exhume fascist dictator Francisco Franco's body from his mausoleum on Thursday and rebury him in 'discreet' site
- Live Cricket Score - Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, 2nd ODI
- Body of former dictator General Franco is to be exhumed from a state mausoleum today and moved to a private family tomb in 'intensely symbolic' move for Spain
- Bangladesh school principal, 15 others sentenced to death
- Bangladesh to charge 16 with murder of woman, 19, burned to death
- Cyclone Fani hits Bangladesh after killing 15 in India
- Franco controversy as Spain exhumes remains of former fascist dictator from mausoleum
- Rohingya refugees agree move to Bangladesh island: official
- Why are wages so low for garment workers in Bangladesh?
Former Bangladesh military dictator Ershad dies at 89 have 334 words, post on en.rfi.fr at July 13, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.