MANILA — She had just bagged the most coveted role in local showbiz.
On Wednesday, Jane De Leon was announced as the new Darna, taking over the role from Liza Soberano and Angel Locsin, who both were attached to the superhero movie but had to back out because of injuries.
But who is Jane De Leon?
Jane Florence Benitez De Leon is a 20-year-old Star Magic artist, who has appeared in several ABS-CBN shows from “Maaalaala Mo Kaya,” “Wansapanataym,” “Ipaglaban Mo,” and “La Luna Sangre.”
Before Wednesday’s blockbuster announcement, she is best known for her role as the younger sister of Jericho Rosales in the popular TV drama “Halik.”
Aside from various Kapamilya shows, De Leon was also part of the 2017 movie “The Debutantes” and the 2018 teen-oriented film “Walwal.”
But De Leon is not just an actress but a “total performer,” according to her bio in the Star Magic website.
She also sings, as well as plays the guitar and drums. In fact, she was a former member of the all-female group Girltrends on “Its Showtime” before she became a solo artist.
- PHILIP MARTIN: What's the new Mary Jane?
- Meet new UH defensive coordinator Joe Cauthen
- Meet new UH co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Brandon Jones
- Meet new UH safeties coach/special teams coordinator Blake Gideon
- H-E-B unveils photos of new Selena tote bags hitting stores next week
- Reader Photos: Something New
- Only one in five teens meet new federal guidelines for physical activity
- Russia Says U.S. Ties Are Worse Than 'Cold War,' Wants to Meet New Leaders of Congress
- Open house Thursday to meet new RVHCC director
- Manny Machado meets New York Yankees face to face this week