By Associated Press | PUBLISHED: July 14, 2019 at 9:43 am | UPDATED: July 14, 2019 at 9:45 am NEW YORK (AP) — A power outage struck the heart of Manhattan on the anniversary of a 1977 blackout— stranding passengers on subways, gridlocking drivers that had to navigate the streets without traffic lights and bringing the curtain down on Broadway shows. The outage, which stretched 30 blocks from Times Square to the Upper West Side, left around 73,000 customers without power Saturday night for about four hours. Con Edison CEO John McAvoy said a problem at a substation caused the 6:47 p.m. power failure. Electricity was restored to customers and businesses affected by the outage by around midnight, according to a statement from the utility. McAvoy said the exact cause of the blackout would not be known until an investigation is completed. The outage stymied subway service throughout the city, affecting nearly every line. New York City’s Emergency Management Department said the A, C, D, E, F, M, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 trains had resumed running in both directions by around 2 a.m. Sunday. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said no injuries were reported and praised… Read full this story
- Satellite images show how dark Puerto Rico is at night after earthquakes caused power outages
- NSW residents are urged to cut electricity use urgently as state faces power outages after bushfires destroy lines in the Snowy Mountains
- Power Outage Prompts Closures Of 2 Schools In The North Allegheny District
- Power Outage; Lights Go Out On UC Berkeley Campus
- Major power outage across Perth, Kalgoorlie and Geraldton from 'load shedding' event
- Analysis confirms coordinated hack attack caused Ukrainian power outage
- Roger Goodell denies Beyoncé's show caused Superdome power outage
- Puerto Rico earthquake, power outage spurs state of emergency, many sleep outside amid 'uncertainty'
- Thousands of homes without power across NSW
- Puerto Rico: more power outages after magnitude 6.0 earthquake
Thousands left in the dark during NYC power outage have 306 words, post on www.bostonherald.com at July 14, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.