The St Louis Cardinals were close to completing a combined no-hitter in a win over the Milwaukee Brewers in MLB on Monday.
Dakota Hudson pitched 6.2 no-hit innings, walking four batters and striking out seven, before he handed it over to the bullpen. Brewers catcher Yasmani Grandal eventually spoiled the Cardinals’ efforts with a two-out double in the eighth inning.
But St Louis still pulled off a 3-0 win and now have a slight advantage in the National League (NL) Central.
The Cardinals are a 0.5-game in front of the Chicago Cubs and three games ahead of the Brewers.
The pitching staff got some help offensively as three different batters drove in runs, including shortstop Paul DeJong, who blasted a homer in the sixth inning.
Hudson earned the win and Andrew Miller was given the save while Milwaukee righty Zach Davies was tagged with the loss.
Dini delivers homer
The Kansas City Royals’ Nick Dini hit his first career home run and it came directly after Nicky Lopez knocked one out of the park.
Asdrubal Cabrera hit the last of the Washington Nationals’ four homers and drove in five runs as they beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 13-0.
Adames, Kiermaier go hitless
The Tampa Bay Rays’ Willy Adames and Kevin Kiermaier both went 0 for four in a 9-3 loss to the Seattle Mariners.
Pujols goes deep
Albert Pujols capped off the Los Angeles Angels’ five-run first inning against the Texas Rangers with a homer.
Kansas City Royals 5-4 Baltimore Orioles
Giants at Cubs
The race for the first spot in the NL Central is heating up and the Cubs will try to bump the Cardinals from the top spot when they start a three-game series against the Giants on Tuesday. Chicago will start Cole Hamels (6-4, 3.69 ERA) and San Francisco will go with Tyler Beede (3-7, 5.77).
- Coke double shakes Liverpool as Sevilla hit back to win Europa League final
- The Trump feud that torpedoed Amazon's bid to win a $14.6b Pentagon contract
- Nobody's perfect: White Sox break up Zimmermann's no-hit bid with a vengeance in 5th
- FCA may improve Renault merger bid to win French backing
- UK’s May tweaks Brexit deal in last-ditch bid to win support
- Frederick Key have 23-hit attack in win over Salem Red Sox
- Brewers Beat Cubs In Game 163 To Take NL Central Crown
- Holliday homer, big inning lead Rockies past Cardinals 9-1
- Daniel Poncedeleon Hurls Seven No-Hit Innings In Big-League Debut
- NFL Team Grades Week 11: Steelers, Bears Do Enough To Win