WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army’s Special Operations Command has released the names of the two Green Berets who were killed Wednesday during combat operations in Afghanistan.
Master Sgt. Luis F. Deleon-Figueroa, 31, and Master Sgt. Jose J. Gonzalez, 35, died as a result of small arms fire in northern Faryab Province. Both were members of 7th Special Forces Group, based at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida.
Deleon-Figueroa is from Chicopee, Massachusetts, and served in the Army for more than 13 years. He became a Green Beret in 2014, and deployed twice to Afghanistan and twice to South America.
Gonzalez, a native of La Puente, California, joined 7th Group in 2014. He was posthumously promoted to Master Sergeant. His family requested that no photo or additional information be released.
- 'I have given my life to serve': Utah mayor and father of seven killed in Afghanistan
- Green Beret: Affordable Renault Zoe EV Blasts Past Leaf in Driving Range
- West Point honors Army captain for actions in Afghanistan
- The Inside Story: "Cricket wasn’t initially accepted by our society in Afghanistan," says CEO Shafiq
- The Legend Of Mitch Green
- 5 reasons for Afghanistan's upset win over Sri Lanka
- Lalchand Rajput warns against giving Afghanistan a turning track
- Afghanistan vs Ireland, Third T20I : Preview and Playing XI
- India vs Afghanistan 2018: A day at the Team India office for GenNext pacers
- Adam Lyon dead: Isle of Man TT sees second death days after Dan Kneen was killed in crash