Updated 5:51 pm CDT, Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony speaks at a news conference announcing the opening a new 2,600-square-foot strategic command and intelligence center, Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The center, located at the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, is expected to monitor live video feeds at more than 260 public schools and administrative buildings across the county. lessBroward County Sheriff Gregory Tony speaks at a news conference announcing the opening a new 2,600-square-foot strategic command and intelligence center, Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The … more
Photo: Ellis Rua, AP
Photo: Ellis Rua, AP
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida sheriff says a new state-of-the-art surveillance center will play a pivotal role in rapid crime response in his county, where 17 people were killed in a school shooting last year.
Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony announced the opening Tuesday of a new 2,600-square-foot (240-square-meter) strategic command and intelligence center. It’s expected to monitor live video feeds at more than 260 public schools and administrative buildings, as well as some county offices. Other facilities may be included later.
Tony says the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting demonstrated the need for real-time intelligence when crimes are happening. During the shooting, responding officers mistakenly thought they were seeing live security footage, but the video was delayed.
Officials say they have conducted 140 drills to test the surveillance system since January.
- Clark County schools start communitywide strategy to reduce absenteeism
- High school student comes out while running for Citrus County School Board position
- Clark County school board shuts down tense meeting
- Clark County School District files for injunction to stop teacher strike
- More than a game: Unified Special Olympics basketball bridging divides in Lee County schools
- Here's which Bexar County school districts pay their employees the most
- Parkland shooting looms large in the Broward County School Board race
- New Feature on Citrus School Buses to Enhance Student Safety
- ID Scanners Coming to Manatee County School Buses
- Manatee County School Bus Drivers Make Popular Music Video