Willie Rioli has been provisionally suspended after allegedly tampering with a urine sample, and has been withdrawn from tomorrow’s semi-final against Geelong.
AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon spoke to the media, stating that an A sample for an out-of-competition test on August 20 returned an adverse analytical finding for urine substitution.
He has been suspended indefinitely until the matter is resolved. Under ASADA regulations, the maximum penalty for urine substitution is four years.
West Coast have released the following statement.
“The West Coast Eagles have been made aware that Willie Rioli is the subject of an ASADA and AFL investigation.
“The club is extremely disappointed that one of our players has been provisionally suspended while a matter is being investigated and it will comply fully and openly with ASADA and the AFL through the process.
“The club is fully committed to supporting Willie during what is a personally distressing time.
“Our primary concern is Willie’s health and welfare.
“As this is an on-going investigation the club, its staff and players can make no further comment until the investigation is completed.
“The West Coast Eagles fully supports the AFL and ASADA in its ideal of our game being drug-free.”
The 24-year-old has played 14 games this year, his second with the Eagles, averaging 13 disposals, three tackles and a goal a game.
He was originally selected with pick 52 in the 2016 draft.
Jack Petruccelle has reportedly been flown to Melbourne as an emergency for tomorrow’s semi-final.
MORE TO COME
- Torrential morning rain dogs west coast of Phuket
- Oregon primed to join West Coast effort to make Daylight Saving Time permanent
- Southwest Airlines readies Hawaii flights in West Coast push
- No looking ahead as Maple Leafs prepare for West Coast road trip
- Fire safety training for West Coast stallholders
- Driver jailed for West Coast crash that killed 2 e-bikers in 2016
- Strongest storm in years batters US West Coast
- ITE College West student dies after being hit by lorry in West Coast Road accident
- 4 earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Tan Cheng Bock has breakfast with Lee Hsien Yang at West Coast hawker centre