Robert S. Boyd, who shared a 1973 Pulitzer Prize with colleague Clark Hoyt for coverage of Democratic vice presidential candidate Thomas Eagleton’s exit from the campaign due to mental health issues, has died. He was 91.The journalist died of congestive heart failure at a retirement home in Philadelphia, Hoyt said.Boyd spent 20 years as Washington bureau chief of Knight Ridder, once the nation’s second-largest newspaper chain with properties like The Philadelphia Inquirer and Miami Herald. He witnessed the secret U.S. bombing of Cambodia during the Vietnam War and received a tour of the Bay of Pigs from Cuban leader Fidel Castro.At 65, Boyd became a science writer and traveled with a scientific expedition to the South Pole. He is survived by his wife and five children.
- Ex-NBA commissioner David Stern - who turned the league into a global powerhouse - dies aged 77 two weeks after undergoing emergency surgery following a brain hemorrhage
- Rapper Juice Wrld dies aged 21 after 'suffering a seizure' that left him bleeding from the mouth at Chicago's Midway airport
- Sir Roger Scruton dies aged 75: 'Greatest conservative of our time' who cleared his name after being sacked as government advisor over false claims of anti-Semitism loses cancer battle, his family reveals
- 'He was truly the Bright Night': Burt Ward leads tributes to Adam West after beloved Batman star dies aged 88 surrounded by his family after short battle with leukemia
- Political activist and writer Faith Bandler AC dies aged 96
- SAS hero who played a key role rescuing hostages in the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege dies aged 71 after a battle with cancer
- Czech new wave director Ivan Passer dies aged 86
- SAS legend who rescued hostages in 1980 Iranian Embassy siege dies age 71 after cancer battle
- Christopher Beeny: Upstairs Downstairs and Last Of The Summer Wine star dies aged 78
- Neil Peart: Rush drummer dies aged 67 after cancer battle
Former newspaperman Robert S. Boyd dies at age 91 have 313 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at September 20, 2019. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.