Omar Abdel-Baqui Detroit Free Press
Published 4:40 PM EDT Oct 9, 2019
An advertising agency in West Michigan rejected an animal activist’s billboard proposals, citing “misleading” information.
Lamar Advertising’s Muskegon office declined to run two billboard designs proposed by California-based nonprofit City the Kitty — run by a former Los Angles Times photojournalist — that likened cat declawing surgery to amputation.
One proposed sign read, “Humane veterinarians won’t declaw cats. Know the truth,” and the other, “Cats need claws Declawing is amputation Don’t Declaw. Learn the truth,” both including City the Kitty’s website.
In emails forwarded to the Free Press, a Lamar Advertising employee told Shepler “Per the Lamar copy acceptance policy … the copy lines of’ ‘Declawing is Amputation’ and ‘Humane veterinarians won’t declaw cats’ are rejected as they are both misleading.”
Lamar Advertising of Muskegon declined comment. Lamar Advertising headquarters in Louisiana did not respond to requests for comment.
In a voicemail to Shepler reviewed by the Free Press, a Lamar Advertising of Muskegon employee said: “We’re not going to debate this. We feel, you know, ‘declawing is amputation’ is a misleading statement, and this isn’t up for debate.”
The American Veterinary Medical Association says declawing “is an amputation and should be regarded as a major surgery.” New York became the first state to ban the practice earlier this year.
Shepler says as a former journalist, “it concerns me when speech is censored and silenced.”
“Many people, especially in West Michigan, are unaware of the facts about declawing, and my attempt to educate the public about the facts about declawing were censored by Lamar.”
More on freep.com:
Declawing cats: New York just banned the practice. Should Michigan be next?
Trucking company owner named in demolition of state rep’s Detroit home
50 years after Rouge River fire, Donald Trump policy may jeopardize decades of progress
Contact reporter Omar Abdel-Baqui: 313-222-2514 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @omarabdelb
- Wife of former Defense secretary calls photo with Biden misleading
- Family behind OxyContin calls opioid suit false, misleading
- Jewish Agency calls on gov’t to expedite Ethiopians Jews immigration
- White House agency calls interns 'super heroes' after report credits fictional names
- Sons prank father for birthday with billboard showing his cell number
- This Canadian Sex Toy Ad Might Be the Best-Written Billboard of 2019
- New boy band Tomorrow X Together scores highest-charting debut album on Billboard | Yonhap News Agency
- BTS nominated for 2019 Billboard music award | Yonhap News Agency
- All the ways New Orleans is rejecting the blown call that may have cost the Saints a spot in the Super Bowl
- Baby Shark (Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) Billboard Chart (Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo)