Months after locking in Josh Wolff as head coach, Austin FC is reportedly on the verge of naming one of MLS’ best sporting directors to the same role.
The Athletic reported on Wednesday that Anthony Precourt’s Austin FC has hired Claudio Reyna from New York City FC to be the expansion club’s new sporting director. It’s the second expansion club that Reyna is working for since he joined NYCFC in 2013 as its first director of soccer operations.
If true, it’s a shrewd move by Precourt to bring in a man who knows MLS like the back of his thumb, and to pair him with a former teammate from the U.S. Men’s National Team. Wolff’s spent almost his entire career in professional soccer in MLS too, so the club now has two influential individuals who are knowledgable about the league and it’s various roster mechanisms.
Austin FC doesn’t enter MLS until 2021, so locking in Reyna now gives him more than a year of runway towards building an MLS-ready roster. Precourt has surely seen the best-case scenario – Seattle, Los Angeles FC, Atlanta United – where a team loaded with top-heavy talent and good role players can make a deep playoff run in its expansion season. But he’s likely also seen the worst-case scenarios – look at Minnesota United in the past and FC Cincinnati this year.
Bringing in Reyna certainly makes it more likely that Austin FC’s future will lie in the former category.
- Joe Cook joins 16 WAPT as sports director
- Salford City hire sixth member of Class of 92 with Chris Casper joining as sporting director
- Neymar’s dad ‘set to meet Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Antero Henrique’ ahead of proposed £195million move
- Christian Heidel to take over as Schalke's sporting director
- Bremen part company with sporting director Eichin
- Liverpool to promote Michael Edwards to sporting director to work alongside manager Jurgen Klopp
- Monaco sporting director Antonio Cordon quits French champions after losing control of players sales
- Alexis Sanchez to PSG: Sporting director in London to try to finalise a stunning deal for Arsenal star
- Arsenal have failed with £55million for Torino striker Andrea Belotti according to Italian club’s sporting director
- Christian Pulisic: Liverpool warned by Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc they don’t stand a chance of signing teen