After a bit of a winding search following Mark Dantonio’s surprising retirement, Michigan State football appears to have found its man. Colorado’s Mel Tucker has agreed in principle to become the next coach with the Spartans, according to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman. Tucker has a short history with Michigan State — he was a graduate assistant with the Spartans for two seasons in 1997 and 1998 — and a significantly longer one in the Big Ten. Tucker played defensive back at Wisconsin, and after spending the two seasons after his graduate assistantship with Miami (Ohio) and LSU, he moved on to coach defensive backs at Ohio State, growing into the defensive coordinator role in 2004, his final year there. A string of NFL jobs followed, with Tucker serving as defensive coordinator the Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars — he also went 2-3 as an interim head coach with the Jaguars — and Chicago Bears before moving back to college as assistant head coach and defensive backs coach at Alabama in 2015, winning a national championship. He then followed fellow Alabama assistant Kirby Smart to Georgia, working as Smart’s defensive coordinator. That put him in line to move into his first full-time… Read full this story
- College Football - After 6 Straight Victories, Michigan State is Still Not Ready For Prime Time
- Michigan - Michigan State Big 10 Clash Will Pit New Coaches in a Head-Knocker
- For the Michigan State Spartans, 7 Has Become a Very Uncomfortable Number
- College Football - Michigan State's Javon Ringer After 3 Games - 498 Yards Rushing and 9 TDs
- The Ohio State Football Program - A Brief History
- Michigan State's Javon Ringer Scores Five Times in 42-10 Victory Over Eastern Michigan
- CU Buffs increasing efforts to not lose next Max Borghi or Christian McCaffrey, Mel Tucker says
- Michigan State Forest Campgrounds - Best Places To Visit In Michigan
- Michigan State Film Rebates Can Be Used With Section 181 Tax Incentives by Private Equity Investors
- College Football - Shock Waves in the Midwest - Could the Big Ten Title Be Up For Grabs This Year?
Report: Mel Tucker accepts Michigan State football job have 340 words, post on 247sports.com at February 12, 2020. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.