With the nationwide lockdown continuing because of the Novel Coronavirus pandemic, many Indian filmmakers have decided to release their movies directly on streaming platforms. While Amitabh Bachchan-Ayushmann Khurrana’s film Gulabo Sitabo will have the world premiere on Amazon Prime Video on June 12, 2020, Vidya Balan’s Shakuntala Devi will also release directly on the web. However, some exhibitors are unhappy with this decision. Post the announcement of Gulabo Sitabo’s digital release, INOX, which is one of the major theatre chains in the country, expressed dissatisfaction over films going directly to over-the-top (OTT) platforms and skipping the theatrical release entirely. Another major theatre chain, PVR, expressed their displeasure over this release model. Kamal Gianchandani, CEO, PVR Pictures told HuffPost, “We are disappointed with Gulabo Sitabo’s decision to go straight to a streaming platform. We were hoping that the producers would accede to our request to hold back their film’s release till cinemas reopened.” Following this, the Producers Guild of India responded to major theatre chains’ criticism over direct-to-web releases of films, with an official statement. Here’s the full statement of the Producers Guild of India: “We are in unprecedented times, facing one of the greatest public health and economic emergencies of… Read full this story
- NOTES ON A CRISIS: DISCUSSING INDIE FILM AT THE INDIEWIRE/MOMA SUMMIT
- Hits & Misses: How Seven Films from Sundance 2015 Performed
- Chroma Squad Will Be Making Its Way To The Switch 'Soon'.
- Oscar 101: 7 Tough Lessons From This Awards Season
- Uncut’s 150 Albums of the Decade: Part two!
- '07's multiple personalities
- Oscar-Winning Director Bernardo Bertolucci Dead at 77
- John Singleton dies after being removed from life support; mother, daughter had been fighting for control of his care, finances
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' shoot was rags to riches
- Save the Baby! On the Benefits of the Three-Act Screenplay Structure
Producers Guild Slams INOX And PVR For Criticising Direct-To-OTT Film Releases Amid COVID-19 Crisis have 297 words, post on www.filmibeat.com at May 15, 2020. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.