WASHINGTON: The United States on Tuesday formally began its withdrawal from the World Health Organisation after President Donald Trump doubled down on his threats to deprive the UN body of its top funding source over its coronavirus response.Public health advocates and Trump’s political opponents voiced outrage at the departure from the Geneva-based body, which leads the global fight on maladies from polio to measles to mental health — as well as COVID-19, at a time when cases have again been rising around the world.After threatening to suspend the $400 million in annual US contributions and then announcing a withdrawal, the Trump administration has formally sent a notice to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, a State Department spokesperson said.The withdrawal of the key WHO founding member is effective in one year — July 6, 2021. Joe Biden, Trump’s presumptive Democratic opponent in November elections, vowed he would immediately end the pullout if he won the White House.”Americans are safer when America is engaged in strengthening global health. On my first day as President, I will rejoin the WHO and restore our leadership on the world stage,” Biden wrote on Twitter.WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus responded to the news with a one-word tweet —… Read full this story
- Lebanese PM asks friendly nations for credit amid crisis
- Lily James cuts a casual figure during the International Film Festival and Awards in Macao amid shock 'split' from Matt Smith
- "Crisis on Infinite Earths": Here's Who the Seven Paragons Are
- Myanmar Beauty Queen Dethroned After Making Comments on Rohingya Crisis (VIDEO)
- Nancy Pelosi launches formal impeachment inquiry against Donald Trump amid reports he withheld aid money from Ukraine - as he brands the move 'more breaking news Witch Hunt garbage' and accuses the Dems of 'presidential harassment'
- At LSU, how a 'bright future' ended amid rise in prescription drug abuse: 'Like night and day'
- EU aims to stir global action with pledge on climate crisis
- Return of Botulism to Europe: Ukraine's Health Crisis Threatens Whole Continent
- Russia to deploy warplanes to Crimea amid Ukraine standoff
- Myanmar and morality in times of crisis
US formally begins pullout from WHO amid COVID-19 crisis have 341 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at July 8, 2020. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.