Representative Jamie Raskin, a Democrat from Maryland, speaks in the Senate Chamber, Feb. 10, 2021. Photo: Senate Television/Bloomberg via Getty Images Former president Donald Trump’s impeachment trial over inciting the January 6 Capitol riot is underway. Below, in reverse chronological order, are the latest updates on the trial as it plays out. Representative Jamie Raskin argued that Trump’s actions on January 6, were a “culmination of the president’s actions, not an aberration from them.” He described how Trump encouraged violence against his political enemies for years, and even continued attacking Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer following a foiled plot to kidnap her in the weeks before the 2020 election. “My dear colleagues, is there any political leader in this room who believes that if he is ever allowed by the Senate to get back into the Oval Office, Donald Trump would stop inciting violence to get his way?” Raskin asked. “Would you bet the lives of more police officers on that? Would you bet the safety of your family on that? Would you bet the future of your democracy on that?” Raskin noted that even after the January 6 attack, Trump “declared his conduct totally appropriate.” “So, if he gets back… Read full this story
- +++ US House votes on impeaching Trump - live updates +++
- Mike Pence Says Trump Will Not Bring Gennifer Flowers to Debate
- Donald Trump is impeached, but rejection by the establishment is the reason his supporters love him
- Nationwide protests for third day after Trump victory
- Tariffs and tweets: This is the new world order under Donald Trump
- US House votes on impeaching Trump - as it happened
- US House votes on impeaching Trump -— as it happened
- 'He's not a healthy guy': Obama's former physician says Joe Biden is at risk of a stroke after 77-year-old released doctor's letter claiming he is 'fit to be president'
- Live coverage: Schiff closes with speech highlighting claims of Trump's corruption
- Delta smelt: the tiny fish caught in California's war with Trump
Managers Say Trump ‘Lit the Fuse’ for Capitol Riot: Live Updates have 321 words, post on nymag.com at February 11, 2021. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.