COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Dawn Staley's passion is evident when she's on a basketball court. When she was a player it was there and now her fiery demeanor can be seen on the sidelines as South Carolina's longtime women's head coach. It will be on display again this summer when she leads the U.S. national team at the Tokyo Olympics. But when her sister, Tracey Underwood, was diagnosed with leukemia last year it wasn't about a game, it was life and death. Staley, the coach, began doing what she does — mobilizing her family and others to action. "We had to activate," Staley said. [ALSO FROM ON HER TURF: It's not just the weight rooms: disparities at the NCAA women's basketball tournament ] The journey began a year ago. Underwood and Staley weren't sure what to think when Tracey had a persistent cough in March 2020 without any real answers as to why. Underwood was fatigued constantly and could barely finish a walk around her neighborhood without needing to rest. One weekend, Underwood was walking and a friend had "to help her back arm in arm, back to the house," Staley said. Underwood's condition deteriorated. She had pain in her… Read full this story
- Exclusive: Duggar sisters want to 'set the record straight'
- Boy, 7, dies of leukaemia two weeks before he was due to get stem cells from twin
- Stunning therapy lands knock-out blow to cancer by training immune cells to seek and destroy deadly threats in trials
- Lawmakers push for increased cybersecurity funds in annual appropriations
- Nick Kamen – Madonna ‘heartbroken’ as she pays tribute to model pal who ‘suffered too much’ after he dies aged 59
- Desperate family of boy, 9, with leukaemia told they have only 10 days to save his life
- Desperate family of boy, 9, with leukaemia have 10 days to save his life
- Man who lost wife to cancer devastated as new love diagnosed with the disease
- Why officiating Zion Williamson is hard
After helping sister fight leukemia, Dawn Staley hopes to diversify bone-marrow registry have 336 words, post on onherturf.nbcsports.com at March 19, 2021. This is cached page on Sport Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.